If you contact me with legal questions or ask for advice, I kindly suggest that you make use of the “Make a Donation” button on the top right corner. This will drastically increase your chances of receiving a reply and I will mail you a postcard from the country I am currently in.

87 Responses to Contact

  1. Pingback: Less or Fewer? A Company Name gone Wrong | Publish or Perish – Andreas Moser's Blog

  2. Drehmann Alex says:

    andrew was machst du auf malta?
    drehmann alex

    • Ich wohne hier. Es ist wärmer, schöner und vor allem preiswerter als London; und nach 2 Jahren war mal wieder ein Ortswechsel fällig.
      Jetzt im Winter ist es perfekt hier: Kaum Touristen, aber immer noch so um die 20 Grad. – Komm doch mal vorbei!

  3. Pingback: “Munich” in Malta | The Happy Hermit – Andreas Moser's Blog

  4. Kianusch says:

    Hallo Andreas,
    Wenn man deinen Blog auf Deutsch lesen möchte, und auf Iran oder Israel klickt, dann öffnet sich wieder die Englische Version.
    Gewollt oder Panne ?

  5. Pingback: Film Review: “The Bourne Legacy” | The Happy Hermit

  6. Christie says:

    I have questions about my friend he married a German citizen in the United States and he wants a divorce but she won’t grant it to him and there is a possible child involved but won’t provide a DNA test can you help?

  7. yessuz says:

    Andreas, i found your website quite accidentally. I know that you planned to stay in Lithuania for some time.

    May I suggest things to see?
    a) Hill of Crosses
    b) Nida (Thomas mann had a house there) and all rest Neringa region (curonian spit, the narrow strip in Baltic sea).
    c) Ventes ragas (cape of Vente)
    d) Kaunas!

    ah, crap. it’s too many things to see :))

    • Thank you very much!
      I am actually planning to go to the Curonian Spit next week or so, because I’d like to see it when there is ice and snow. (And then of course also return in summer.)
      I also noticed that there is so much to see, so I may stay in Lithuania for longer.


  9. Lille says:

    Hi,have a question:I’m married to German man now for 7yrs of unhappy marriage and I can’t take this anymore.The problem is sexually I thought when we here in Germany it will be fine bt the problem still the same.I’m a student here not working still studying Deutsch.My question is which road must I go cos don’t have money to pay for lawyers,do we get free lawyers in German? Do I have to go now to lawyers? We also married in German and also in my homeland too we came here last year July.I even thinking to commit suicide they way I am.I’m 36 yrs now nd his 69 yrs I try to my homeland to divorce bt he didn’t want to I think he got fear of being alone bt I can’t take this anymore can u advice me where must I go they will hear me in English not in Deutsch.Thank u I hope ull get back to me.

  10. I am hoping to find out more about possibly gaining German citizenship. My great grandfather came to the US as a child with his parents and then settled in a community of other German ex-pats who were also all recent immigrants. My great grandmother had parents who also came from the same area of Germany. As far as I can determine neither of my great grandparents ever renounced their German Citizenship. Over the last 10 years I have visited and connected with most of my German cousins and am hoping to relocate to Germany. However, this pesky need for a job and money keep getting in the way! :-) So I am hoping to gain the ability to seek employment and ultimately reside in Germany. From what I have found online so far it seems that my options are somewhat limited given that my family left Germany before 1933, didn’t emmigrate to the Soviet Union and were not Jewish. Thank you in advance for any info or links you might provide!

  11. charlie robinson says:

    Will do! Danke!

  12. Bobby says:

    Hi Andreas,
    married my wife in E.Africa. been together 2 1/2 years. have child 2gether. marriage falling apart.
    i want a divorce.
    My aufenthaltstitel expires next year. i have aushilf job. no permanent job.
    my qn: Will i be kicked out of Germany incase of divorce? what happens to our child? will i have any rights at all; visitation and all that?

    Thank you for your time.

  13. Kavita Joshi says:

    Wow are u a divorce lawyer? so many diff question people have asked you man….It seems quiet interesting job you are doing there

    • I also have expertise in many other areas of law, but family and immigration matters really are what 90% of the people seem to be interested in. But I am not actively working at the moment as I try to concentrate on my studies. So I can just accept some freelance cases from time to time.

  14. Kavita Joshi says:

    good work Andreas…you are hosting people for couch surf.. very impressive ..I would love to do that but as of now I am focusing of now owning anything of my own and be a minimalist ..may be one day I would be able to do that

    • This minimalism is great! I have less stuff with each of my moves. But luckily I found a fully furnished apartment here in Vilnius, so I can host people at the moment.

  15. Doris F says:

    Hello Andreas,
    First of all, thank you for the support and clarifications you’ve been offering. Are you still in Lithuania, so I can send a book?

    My question is a complicated one. Here we:
    My dad- German, married my mum- Nigerian in 1978 under Nigerian customary law where my mother’s family and some of my dad’s friends were present. My dad always worked for German companies in Nigeria and the German embassy issued my mother visas as Mrs. F, and in 1986 they requested that my parents get an affidavit to support/ prove their marraige which they did and this was accepted by the Embassy and continued recognising my mother ad Mrs. F for over 23 years. When I was 23, my dad visited the Embassy in Lagos and requested that I get the German citizenship ( I did not get this earlier as he was afraid I would not stay with them in Nigeria, & when he realised his mistake wanted to fix it) he was told that I had to apply for Einburgerung. In the same year I got married, & was expecting a bay. I applied a year later but was told that 1. I had no ties to Germany, 2. My parents were not married ( the same time, my mum applied for residence permit as my dad had just gone into Rente and they wanted to return to Germany) due to this hesitation & to avoid complications, my parents went and got married again in a registry. After that the embassy conducted an investigation on my parents, and the reports were genuine, they had been together for over 23years. My Mum got her papers and they have been living in Germany for 7 years now. In 2006, My dad advised me to apply for a passport, where i submitted birth certificates of my dad and his parents all getan through and through, but everything went pear shaped as the argument of the Bundesverwaltungsamt was that I was illegitimate, and after the re-marriage of my parents in 2005, I still do not gain citizenship. It did not matter what our lawyer tried and they argued every loop hole.
    Can you advice. If necessary, I can call you and even send you copies of the replies and if you can represent me.
    Your response is highly appreciated.

    • Hello Andreas,
      A friend recently forwarded your link to me and having read quite a bit about you,
      i would make a donation as soon as i can, possibly tomorrow, but would be very glad if you would
      answer my questions as soon as possible.
      Do enjoy the rest of the day, would be here as soon as i can again.

  16. Matthias Bahret says:

    Hallo Herr Moser,
    sind sie der Inhaber der domain

  17. Pingback: ECJ ruling on asylum for homosexuals | The Happy Hermit

  18. stardrops5 says:

    Hallo Andreas,
    I stumbled across your blog whilst doing research for my dissertation. Your work is engaging and amusing, and I enjoyed reading a German view on the Maltese…particularly because I am a Maltese who writes about Germans.

    Viel Spass!

    • I should warn you that citing me in your dissertation can lead to a low mark. :-)
      But if you do, I’d be happy to read it once it will be finished.

  19. Inez says:

    Hallo Herr Moser ich hätte ein Rechtsfrage an Sie könnte man Sie unter der angegebenen Nummer anrufen?

    • Klar, gerne.
      Allerdings vergebe ich Telefontermine eigentlich erst nach Bezahlung meines Honorars, zur Zeit 150 € für eine umfassende Beratung.
      Wenn Sie mir vorher eine E-Mail schicken und den Sachverhalt etwas schildern, kann ich mich besser vorbereiten (und abschätzen, ob ich überhaupt weiterhelfen kann).

  20. Inez says:

    Ich versuche gerade das Aufenthaltsbestimmungsrecht für mein Kind zu erhalten, da ich einen US Amerikaner geheiratet habe und nun Auswandern möchte. Da ich meine Papiere dort erledigen muss ist meine Frage ob mich mein Anwalt bei einer Hauptverhandlung in Deutschland allein vertreten kann? Es wurde ein Rechtsbeistand für mein Kind angeordnet. Mein Anwalt meinte das ich nicht gehen kann da ich auch zu diesen Termin anwesend sein muss. Nun bin ich am überlegen den Fall zu stoppen und ihn wieder aufnehmen zu lassen sobald ich meine Papiere erledigt habe. Mein Anwalt erklärte mir das ich wenn ich dies stoppe beide Anwaltsgebühren bezahlen muss ich habe zur ersten Anhörung eine Verfahrenskostenübernahme bewilligt bekommen. Was würden Sie mir in diesen Fall Raten?? Es ist sehr dringend!!!!

    • Das kann ich gerne beantworten ohne daß Sie eine riesige Gebühr bezahlen müssen. Wenn Sie mir eines der Bücher von meiner Wunschliste zusenden, kann ich Ihnen dann gerne diese Fragen beantworten und meinen detaillierten Ratschlag zum weiteren Verfahren zukommen lassen.
      Wenn Sie mir noch die Schriftsätze aus dem Verfahren über das Aufentaltsbestimmungsrecht (sowohl Ihren als auch den des Vaters) e-mailen könnten, kann ich Ihnen eine bessere Einschätzung über die Chancen in diesem Verfahren geben.

  21. Henry Pierson says:

    Interesting site. I think you should add Atlas Shrugged to your book wish list or any other book by Ayn Rand.

    I was born in Germany in 1946 to a German mother, my father a GI left without marrying my mother. I speak some German, enough to entertain my remaining German relatives. My mother married another American soldier who later adopted me and brought us both to the US. Later my mother became a citizen and so did I (I was about 10 years old) and it was automatic. My question is can I get a German passport as I believe this country is headed the wrong direction. I would still like to retain my American citizenship.

    Henry Pierson AKA Heinrich Hamm

    • I have read “Anthem” by Ayn Rand and liked it quite a lot. I am honestly not planning to read “Atlas Shrugged” because a novel of more than 1,000 pages must have something special to entice me. From the reviews I have read and the look I once took at the book at the library, I don’t think I would finish it.

      To answer your question I would need to know more about how you obtained US citizenship. You say it was “automatic”, but wasn’t there some application from your mother’s part which covered you? This is a crucial question because if your mother applied for US citizenship for you without obtaining prior consent from Germany, then you lost your German citizenship in that process.
      You can of course apply for naturalization in Germany but you would need to have very good reasons for keeping your US citizenship, like severe economic loss if you had to give it up.
      You will find more information in my FAQ on German citizenship.

  22. Ricky says:

    I’m an American citizen married to a German national. We got married in the U.S.A. about 4 years ago and now have a 1 year old girl. We visit Germany twice a year. We live in Ohio and have absolutely no family there. We are in Germany at the moment but will be going back soon. The reason I’m writing to you is because I want to move my family here to Berlin so we can be close to family but have no idea what to do. Do I apply for residency at the consulate in Ohio then work permit afterwards? Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated!

  23. Vivian Anczok says:

    Dear Mr. Moser,
    I am holding British passport n married my German husband for almost 8 1/2 yrs. I have been living in Germany since April 2007.
    I want to get a divorce. Am I entitled to get any aid from the government because i don’t have a job here?
    Thank you

    • Yes, German legal aid also extends to non-Germans who have a legitimate interest to bring a case (or defend themselves against a lawsuit) before a German court.

      You can pick any lawyer and ask him/her to help you file the legal aid paperwork for you.

  24. Vivian Anczok says:

    I am happy to do so. Perhaps it takes a couple weeks to get to you because I must go personally to the bookstore. I can’t get it on line because my husband will find out. Once again I thank you so much for your advise. I have already contacted the lawyer n our first appointment will be on 28th Aug.
    Best regards.

  25. Vivian Anczok says:

    Hi Andreas,
    This morning I have sent out ‘Der Tag der roten Nase’ this story book to your mentioned address.
    It will takes 5-7 days. Hope you enjoy reading it.
    I spoke to my lawyer this morning as well. We had good conversation. It was a pity that I can’t claim back those money that I transfered to Germany from HK under German law. He said perhaps I can use UK law to claim that but which will be costly and takes years.
    Best regards,

  26. Goran says:

    Dear Mr Mozes,

    My name is Goran and I’m since July 2011 studying in Stuttgart. I’ve have had regular residence permit (Aufenhaltserlaubnis) for 3 years, with my Serbian passport. Since Feb 2014 I’ve got EU (Croatian passport). How long now I’ve to be in Germany to acquire German permanent residence permit since I’m now european citizen.

    Thanks in advance,

  27. bob says:

    Dear Andreas, help me out for this question, if the women went first to the court without a husband to know and claim that my husband he is abusing me and a child which is not true can the court decide to give her a full custudy of a child or will the husband restricted to see her child?. and the court can make these decision whithout investigation?.
    please let me know about this if you dont mind.

    • On the top of this page, I ask people to mail at least one book from my wishlist if someone wants to have their questions answered. That applies even more in a case like yours where I already answered many of your questions.

  28. Steve Taylor says:

    Hi Andreas,

    Amusing blog on the Scottish referendum. You’ve missed another potential cause for upset. In the event of a Yes vote, there will be a General Election in the UK before secession (2015 v 2016). Therefore you could arguably have the new Government decided by the Scottish vote and the Scots will be leaving 10 months after.


  29. Pingback: 10 FAQ on Freedom of Movement in the EU | The Happy Hermit

  30. Serah says:

    Hi , Mr Moser, I am a Cameroonian , I got married to a German man February 2013, he went back to Germany after the marriage and has abandonned me since then. I learned the German language , had my A1 certificate, submitted my documents for family reunion visa since May last year. It was July this 2014 that the embassy called me and returned my marriage certificate and my visa was denied because . My husband has abandonned me saying he is tired of waiting for me and that I should let him go, since last year and stopped all communication with me. Please help me, what will I do now? I can t stay like this, married to someone who is not here, and I can t get married to another person as I am still married to him. He has frustrated me, I m been mocked by friends here, I need to move on, everybody here knows I m married so nobody asks me out, and I am fast passing my childbearing age, especially as I love children so much and want mine. I just turned 28 yrs when we got married, I will be 30 yrs in three months time, please tell me what to do.

  31. SJ says:

    I got married around 3 years ago & came to Germany on Spouse Visa. I am just a housewife with no job. My marriage is not working out anymore. My husband is very domineering, controlling and treats me like his servant. I don’t want to continue this relationship anymore but want to stay in Germany and build my own independent future if I can.
    Will my Spouse Visa be cancelled if my husband requests? And under what grounds can I stay in Germany?
    Also if I apply for divorce in Germany will I get alimony?

  32. Collins says:

    Hello, moser. I was just browsing for info when i came accross my wishlist. i have a question, I am asylumseeker here in france, and i have a germany girlfriend who is under divorce process and now she is pregnant for me, and she told me to come to germany so that both of us can go and meet her lawyer to enable her declare me as the father of the unborn child, and also for us to do some papers work and sign with her lawyer to enable the child bear my name when is born and also for me to have father right for my child..please i just want to know if her lawyer is the rightful place for me to go with her? Thanks

  33. Justin says:

    Help please!

    Eight years ago I was stationed in Germany and married a German national in Germany. After that we moved to the United States had one son in the US at my last duty station in New York. Shortly after we separated and she moved back with my son while filling for a divorce in Germany. Since then I have been trying to get overseas so that I can be next to my son however I have not had any luck.

    Last year in June while in Germany again looking for employment I reached out to Wetteraukreis in Friedberg. I filled out all of the appropriate forms in order to stay for family reasons along with a letter from my ex-wife to help however I was given a verbal denial and nothing on paper. The denial as it was explained to me was for two reasons; 1) I did not have health insurance at the time and 2) I do not have custody.

    Now I am strongly considering giving up my United States citizenship for German citizenship if possible since time and time again I can not seem to find a way to be next to my son.

    Any suggestions on what I can do or what rights I have?

    • The easiest way to move to Germany would be if you would get shared custody again. Would your ex-wife be willing to cooperate with that? All the details could be worked out between you and her, but if you have shared custody again, you are entitled to a residence permit in Germany (§ 28 AufenthG).

      • Justin says:

        Thank you for the quick reply. Because of your advise she is willing to talk about it this Saturday. Typically I need sponsorship in order to get employment in Germany. Would I still need sponsorship in addition to a residence permit or will the permit be enough to open up the doors to making being employed easier?

      • The residence permit for family reunion purposes comes with a full work permit (§ 27 V AufenthG), so that you need no sponsorship by an employer.

  34. Trevor says:

    Can you cast your mind back to when you took your exam for your first course in your OU Philosophy degree and was it hard to revise for. Any tips/advice would be most welcome.

  35. a01818044655 says:

    Hello Andrea. I and my husband are been pursuing our studies in germany since 5 years and we have to continue our studies for 3 more years for its completion.We are going to have a baby in this year. What would be the visa status of the kid here and are we allowed to live here further for our kid after completing or our studies ? By the time of completion of our studies after 3 years, my kid would be starting his or her school, then are we allowed to live here further for our kid . Because students cannot stay in germany if they dont find any job after their studies.

    would be great if you give any advice.

    • Your child will of course get a residence permit which will be derived from yours. However, it won’t receive German citizenship.
      The situation after the completion of the studies will depend on the laws in place in 3 ears, which nobody can predict, but generally it would help if at least one of you could get a job. By that time you could also apply for naturalization in Germany if you meet the requirements (economic self-sufficiency, good German language skills).

      • a01818044655 says:

        Hai Andreas

        Thank you very much for your answer. A specific question ,if my kid go to school, cant we stay in germany because of our kid as we will not be having any visa more? I heard that if a kid borns and starts his/her school in germany, then the kid can stay here untill he/she completes their studies in germany and as well as their pareitns too ?

      • No. That would be a bit too easy, if you think about it.

  36. Starlisha says:


    I have had an ongoing issue with the father of my child. I moved with my son from my hometown worms to stuttgart to be with my significant other. since than we had a court date last october and the judge awarded me full custody and rights of where my son can live. His father was able to have every other weekend with him. I left to visit the states last month and while I was gone there was a meeting for a judge and my son to talk because his father lied and said I was abusing him. I was unaware of this meeting and they temporarily took my custody and gave it to him. My lawyer apparently did not tell them I was going to the states even though I informed my lawyer before I left. How can they take my custody when I was not even here to defend myself? And how can this be considered kidnapping when I can prove that I left for my vacation before all this came about? Any advice would be great as my lawyer is of little help right now and I am trying to find out my rights until I can get back to Germany.

    Thank you very much!!

    • This is such a complicated matter that I would really need to speak to you on Skype. It would also help if you could e-mail me all of the court paperwork that you have.
      I charge 200 EUR for such a consultation.

  37. a01818044655 says:

    halo Andreas

    I am Mohammad student in Germany since last 5 years. I got adopted in germany 4 years before. my adopted parents are german citizen. it was an adult adoption thats why i cant change my visa from student one to familytogether visa. now the problem is i took my family name Joos. my full name is Mohammad Joos. my country people are thinking i converted to Christian. my biological father is directly related with islamic politics. at the time of adoption my bilogical parents disowned me from them. my country people threat me to kill me if i anytime return to my country. and they also told me that i insulted the name Mohammad by added Joos with it. which is not allowed in Islam. I didnt know about it. I have stress now and my study is not going good. I am afraid to leave germany. My living is secured in Germany by my adoptive parents. I speak very good german and didnt take any soical help. what should i do now. aren’t there any option to protect me from this difficult situation. would be greatful if u suggest me something.

    kind regards


  38. Larissa Miller says:

    Hello Andreas!
    I have a question about inheritance in Germany. I read your FAQ and did not find an answer to my specific question, so here it is….I am 1 of 6 inheritors of a house in Germany. I am the only one who has acquired a written Certificate of Inheritance and I am the only one willing to go to Germany to take care of this matter and sell the house. I am not in contact with the other inheritors and they are spread out in different countries. What do I need in order to make this sale possible? Do I need their written consent to sell? Do they need to physically be there at the time of the sale? How can I get this house sold and claim my portion?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

    Larissa Miller e-mail:

  39. Gunter says:

    If i have a criminal record can i get a german passport??
    Becuase i want to go play rugby in german and have a contact to go play there.

    My grandfather was born in german.

    Please can you reply

  40. Randa alroz says:

    Dear sir
    accidently i read your article after looking into german laws about child abduction. I would like to find out if can help me with an urgent problem im facing. I was married to a lebanese man and have a child of him and got divorced 3 years ago.since then he had the custody of our child but i have the right to take him for 1 day everyweek. On october 21/2015 he ran away to germany illegally with his new syrian wife a d newborn baby and our child as well depriving me from my right to see him . He also faked my signature in the general security to get a passport for my child. He is staying in germany now as a asylum. Do you think you can help me? Waiting for your reply

  41. vidavidav says:

    It is so comforting to know the option to turn to you for a legal advice in case of need Andreas.

  42. Rayyan says:

    Good Day Andreas,

    I have an uncle and aunt (from my dad’s side) that live in Germany and have been naturalized in the 70’s; is there a way I can obtain naturalization through them?? I currently hold a Syrian passport and I’m 40 yrs old.

    Many thanks and let me know if I have to make a donation if this can lead somewhere.

Please leave your comments, questions, suggestions:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s