Bradley Manning is now Chelsea Manning, she says.
- Bradley Manning faces up to 35 years in prison. Dude, if you had to spend the prime of your life in prison, would you want to be around lots of other dudes or around the girls? Exactly. If this is what it takes to get to the girls’ wing, then so be it.
- Facing a prison term of up to 35 years, Manning will be 60 years old when
she will be released (although this is a worst case scenario without any parole or pardon). At that age, you gotta think about life expectancy. Women on average live 5 years longer than men, so that’s definitely worth it.
- Did you notice how Bradley Manning announced his identity change to Chelsea Manning right after the sentence was handed down? Clever! The verdict is against Bradley Manning, but there ain’t no Bradley Manning no more. Chelsea has nothing to do with all of this and can now walk free.
- When asking for a presidential pardon in the future, it may help to have the same name as the then-President’s daughter.
- The US military has no maximum-security prison for women. Maybe she will have one built just for her.
In all seriousness, being a person in such a transition is tough. Doing this in a prison environment must be even tougher. Good luck to Private Manning! (How convenient that these military ranks are gender-neutral.)